Monday, May 13, 2013

Why I am going to South America

The first reason is obvious: I love Spanish language culture. 
This is something relatively recent...say around sophomore year of college. Of course there were moments in high school such as my affinity for Guillermo del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron, Luis Bunuel, Pedro Almodovar, and the magic realists among other things. What set me to being a Hispanophile was Pablo Neruda. This was my gateway to the realm of Spanish language literature and really set me in motion to my interest in going to South America.

Well then, I like Spanish language culture and am reasonably a Hispanophile (reasonably because I have a more than passing affinity for British and East Asian-Japan, China-culture as well). Why didn't I go to Mexico or Spain?

Or why go to those countries? Go to Italy, France, Canada, so forth. I will...later.

The idea of going to South America confounds so many people and, frankly, it annoys me. Now, part of this is people who know me worrying about me. Their idea of South America is Colombian drug lords and Venezuelan communism. Others, however, are confused why anyone would go there when they could spend a week in Tuscany. Not to knock Tuscany, but it's not my priority. South America is my priority, specifically Andean South America. All the time people asked me, with derision, "Why are you going?" They have their mind's idea of vacation, of where they would go if they had endless money (which I don't by the way). That's what old(er) people ask. Young-ish people (mid-thirties) suggest backpacking Europe. These seem conventional, but being adamant about South America definitely makes me seem contrarian and therefore pretentious. I'm not a contraraon; I intend to go to Germany and the UK in the future. Therefore I want to list out the genuine reasons why I would take on a trip like this. You've got the first reason.

Reason number 2: I want to better my Spanish.

This makes sense if I'm growing into a Hispanophile.

It's imperative for me to learn a second language even if it isn't Spanish. It will increase my job opportunities. It will increase my social awareness. Learning Spanish is more important in this hemisphere. Plus, it will allow me to enjoy my favorite films (next to Japan probably Spain and Mexico have produced my favorite films). It will allow me to enjoy Neruda, Borges, Paz Molina, Violeta Parra, so forth. I feel like learning Spanish takes time but it requires immersion for proper learning. Therefore, as a result of reason number 1 I have a deep interest in learning Spanish and that means being in country that operates purely in Spanish. 

But why not go to Spain?

Reason number 3: It's cheaper than Europe...

much, much cheaper than Europe. The plane tickets were less expensive. I have roundtrip tickets to Lima from Atlanta and multi-trip tickets from Lima to Buenos Aires and from Santiago to Lima. Combined the total ticket price is around $1100. That is cheaper than almost destination to Europe aside from Dublin or London. The roundtrip ticket to Madrid is around $1300-$1400. 

Plus the currency rate is very generous to Americans. Argentina, which is probably the wealthiest of the three countries I intend to touch (the others being Chile and Peru), has a conversion rate of AR$1 to US $.19. Now, unfortunately prices are gouged for various activities such as visiting Machu Picchu and there are inconveniences like bus travel versus no train travel. Yet, I'm budgeting my trip with around $40-$60 a day and...it might actually work. Most of the hostels are $9-$15/day. Many of the activities in the cities are free. 

Now most people will say you have to pay more in Europe but it's safer. I don't know if that's absolutely true. Most definitely in Germany and Scandinavia it is safe, but aside from Peru Argentina and Chile are no less safe than Washington DC or any major European city. Most crime against tourists are pickpockets and theft. Even Peru is supposedly safer than Brazil or India or Eastern Europe. If you watch your ass, know your surroundings, keep a level head it shouldn't be hopeless. 

Now, if expense is an issue why not Mexico (which was my backup if something happened to prevent me to go to South America...FYI)?

Reason number 4: Nature

My travel destinations tends to veer into various interests, particularly culture (arts, history, etc) and food. What draws me to many places, though, is its proximity to nature. My love for nature came about around the same time as my discovery of Neruda oddly enough though it really was there from my life in North Georgia. I grew up in nature and developed a love for anything interesting in nature with a particular emphasis on water areas (coasts, rivers, waterfalls) and mountains. 

Mexico has a lot of those, but South America outdoes it all. I mean the second tallest mountain outside of Mount Everest is in Argentina, which also has landscapes ranging from desert (Talampaya) to tropical waterfalls (Iguazu), and port cities (Buenos Aires). It's the same deal in Chile and Peru. The idea of being near the second tallest mountain in the world is exceptional to me. Why would I pass it up?

Reason number 5: This is what I've wanted to do since I was young

Let's go back about two years. I was working as a stage tech for a visiting dance company. During the time I was reading "Look Homeward, Angel" by Thomas Wolfe and during a break I picked up the book for a few more pages. The more I read into the book the more I felt related to Eugene Gant. Our parents are similar and we both grew up in Appalachia as dreamers. We both dreamed of going to places far away. 

Then it hit me; I'm working in a job that to get where I want, in a creative position where I control my own destiny, I'm going to have to do nothing but work. For two years, for ten years. Did I really want to do that? Or did I want to write and travel? 

For two years I've been dating my decisions, about whether or not I should apply to graduate school, about whether or not I should\ have majored in theatre, about what my direction should be. Should I get on as a P.A. if I want to make films or make shorts on my own? Will I ever do theatre again or has my passion waned? How will I get published?

But one thing I knew for certain was that I need to get out. For 22 years I never traveled. I went to New York once and it was...anticlimactic (not because of the city, just the experience). My parents never took us outside the South if we ever went on vacation. During college I didn't have the money to study abroad, travel anywhere, etc. Then I went to Chicago and it was a life changing experience. I realized I need to have more of these experiences, while I was young, before I had kids, before I could no longer do it. 

It became essential for me then, to save up and get myself somewhere and travel. That's why I saved up for this trip. That's why I am going alone. Even though people fret, I had no one who could go with me. Some didn't want to and had other priorities with their money (which is fine). Other's couldn't spare a month or didn't have the money. I couldn't revolve around those people though when I feel strongly this is what I need to do. I owe my 12 year old self this opportunity. 

If these reasons aren't convincing, there's this: http://www.iceaxetv.com/Aconcagua/photos/Aconcagua-2_LG.jpg .

No comments:

Post a Comment