Saturday, May 13, 2017

Spring 2017 Life Update

So how's 2017 so far?

It's actually been quite lovely in spite of me not quite living up to my 2017 Goals. As I outlined in my post 2007 Me vs. 2017 Me I had several goals. I was to sketch twice a week. I was to work on Spanish.

So...I did work on these goals, but not with the degree that I had initially outlined. There's no routine in my sketching and my study of Spanish so unfortunately they haven't become habits. I even followed through and lead a program on sketching which certainly enabled me to learn more about technique and practice more -- alongside my other art programs such as watercolor -- but it's still rudimentary.

That's ok though.

We Shot a Movie

In the 2017 post linked above, I mentioned that I was in preproduction for a new film, currently titled Will. In February we completed principal photography and my DP has been color correcting the footage (while working several other jobs for long hours -- Go Kevin!). Reshoots are to happen soon and then postproduction.


Will was a breakthrough of sorts in terms of finding my voice. After writing scripts for nearly 10 years I'm finally at a point where I know what kind of movies I want to make. Will is a script that underwent 10 drafts -- sometimes for minor changes, sometimes for major ones -- but what came out of it was a lean script with more action and less dialogue. Yet, I feel the dialogue hit the point a lot more. Curtains went from 18 pages to 12 pages. Will stayed between 5-7 pages.

What I've realized is that I do have a type of film that I love. I love movies that are simple, character-driven, and visually inventive or bold. Will got me closer to this based on the footage I witness and my colleagues have asserted that Will had a better plot to execute. I'm proud of the work we shot, particularly from my DP. He was more confident in what we shot and our footage will stand out because of his lighting.

Make no mistake: everyone was on point.

I'm still growing as a director though. To back off from tooting my own horn, I do feel that I have to work on my communication. It's important for any film director to not micromanage -- but not be a washcloth either. It's hard middle and it's a skill that only comes out of experience. I'm getting closer to this middle, but I'm still not there yet.

Travel

In the 2007 vs. 2017 post, I mentioned that I was going to Paris and Hong Kong. Since that post I've completed both those trips! I wrote about Hong Kong but I didn't mention Paris, a relatively lifelong dream that I only gave myself 4 days to complete (with a stopover in Lyon for good measure).

Because the stay was short I won't go too much into this 2017 goal but I will share my Paris impressions:

  • Paris isn't a movie. It's a real, breathing city. It's like Europe's NYC. There are a lot of people -- don't expect a relaxing, romantic time unless you pay extra for it.
  • I know bread isn't good for you -- but if there's a heaven in this world it's either a Vienna coffeehouse or a French boulangerie. I've taken on the habit of buying a baguette from Publix every morning in my bastardized attempt to make up for this. 
  • The Eiffel Tower and the Louvre are as magnificent as you could dream of -- in spite of the tourists. 
  • The Musee d'Orsay was disappointing, frankly. 
  • Montmartre is an ok district to stay in but I was confronted by a scammer trying to sell me a friendship bracelet. He grabbed me and I yelled back. This is a common scam. I don't recommend this.
  • Watching the way locals act in a French bistro was truly a highlight -- I sat at a French bistro for lunch and witnessed locals greeting the host, shaking the hands of the chef. I found this treatment of others and reverence for what everyone in a restaurant--server, chef--does lovely.
  • Speaking of Parisians -- I never had any issues with the locals. Everyone was wonderful.
The last thing I'll say about my Paris trip is a lesson: I plan to never go abroad again for less than a week.

The very last thing I'll say in regards to 2017 travel goals: the ticket to Arizona has been "purchased" (I used my Delta SkyMiles to get it). My "easy" travel goal to get to the Grand Canyon is finally happening in September.

Quality Time and Looking Ahead

Between now and the end of the year there will be no traveling abroad or any films shot. Now I say this knowing I'm working on a few scripts that I plan to develop over the summer to show and share. I'm planning new trips next year back to Latin America. I have weekend trips planned.





But I want quality time with my folks.


My dad had a series of mini-strokes in April. Tests are being completed by physicians to determine the cause but I have no doubt, nor does my family, that my dad's lifestyle choices -- eating habits, lethargy -- influenced the strokes. Dad has surprised us all through his self-discipline in changing his eating habits. His inability to speak or to have slurred speech scared him and both he and I want him to live longer.

Mom had her own confrontation with mortality again. Thankfully she herself is doing well, even if she's not completely physically healthy. Work has worn her down, of course, because that's what physical labor does. A month after Dad's mini-strokes, however, one of Mom's closest friends died suddenly of cardiac arrest -- on her birthday, no less. This devastated Mom and her coworkers. When I received the news I immediately called Home -- Mom couldn't speak, she was in shock and in tears. She called me the next morning and was unable to complete sentences without crying.

I want to spend more time with everyone. So that's my to-do list for the Summer. Find more time to spend with family, with Rory, and with my friends as well.

First, I want to help Mom retire. I've wanted Mom to retire at 60 -- her body won't be able to handle her job for much longer -- and after her friend died I'm determined. Why? Well frankly, I don't want her to die while still working at a manufacturing plant. I want her to be able to enjoy retirement. We've begun talks on how to take action by adding more income in 401K and what her pension will bring in real dollars. This is going to happen next year, hell or high water.

It's a very realistic goal because my sister has a job now! Yay! She's going to be a Kindergarten teacher with a really good income in a great school district. This means two things: mom is not necessarily helping her with any income (and put more money in her 401K) and my sister has to grow in personal finance. She's admitted she's had issues with financial planning. So in conjunction with helping my mom, this summer I plan to help my sister with personal finance goals and coming up with a realistic budget for her ultimate goal: to move out.

Last, I have a weekend trip planned...with Rory. I'm calling it a dogcation. Since last year I've included her in more and more activities as I've felt the weight of not being with her. So a dogcation needs to happen.

Final Thoughts

Relaxation has not been easy. I said at the beginning of the year I wanted to take it easy more. For January and February that wasn't happening. Work, preproduction and production of Will, and the stresses of a relationship (as mentioned in the Hong Kong post) led to a burnout.

Since March, however, I've been letting life get easier. Spending time with family and the dog is one way. I love working on and having goals but it's weird to have a goal that is "take it easy." But it's time to take it easy for 2017.


No comments:

Post a Comment