Saturday, July 25, 2020

Relationships are Voluntary: A Brief Post

All relationships must be based on volunteerism.

I learned to live by this maxim which has left me hurt and left me powerful. Any relationship - that is, romantic or platonic - should continue by choice and never because of obligation.

I learned this lesson the hard way. I learned this lesson by hanging onto relationships that gave me needless anxiety for too long. I learned this lesson by believing I could negotiate romantic relationships. If someone said "I'm not interested in you" I believed I could negotiate it through reasoning or pleading.

I felt like a failure for failing at relationships. I felt I had to act as the best, most giving friend. I felt doomed to perpetual loneliness because my romantic relationships averaged 1-2 dates and, until my recent relationship with my wife, 3 months. 

After a toxic relationship, however, I made a moment of clarity: I would rather live alone the rest of my life than to live with a toxic person. 

That moment of clarity happened only as a 28 year old. It lived in me previously as a thought, but from that time I learned to embody it.

My moment of clarity: my life mattered whether someone was in it or not. I do not have time for unfulfilling relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment